Thursday, July 31, 2008

you never know who's watching you

I was looking for a picture to go with this entry and couldn't find one I liked. I found this one from our vacation and thought it went well with my post. Moral: You never know who's watching you! It also has the added benefit of being a picture of me that doesn't show my face! I am not photogenic at all!

I'm sure I'm behind a few messages from Pastor Paul. Sunday before last we were out of town and then last weekend my mom was here and I was coughing so I stayed with her. What I have been getting from messages/meetings/conversation is to love God and walk with Him in everyday life. In doing so and listening to him I will find ways to influence those around me. It's not rocket science or figuring out ways to "witness" but simply enjoying life and sharing God's love with others. Our lives should reflect His love if we are in love with Him.


I signed up on crosswalk.com to get a devotional called "Encouragement for Today." A few days ago this story was in one called "Bearers of Light" by Amy Carroll. She also has a blog and I emailed her and asked if I could share this part of her article. She graciously gave me permission and said she had gotten it from another source also. I guess it pretty much sums up what I've been hearing and meditating over for several days now. Here's Amy's story.......


"As a lover of history, I was fascinated by a story that I heard about Benjamin Franklin recently. Franklin had decided that lighting the streets of Philadelphia at night would add both beauty and increased safety to his city. Instead of embarking on a campaign of speeches and writing to persuade the other citizens, Franklin himself bought a large and beautiful lantern and mounted it on a long bracket in front of his home. He kept the glass clean and sparkling, and each evening at dusk he faithfully lit the lantern.

Soon his neighbors began to take notice, and they began maintaining their own lanterns at their residence. Like wildfire, the trend spread throughout the city, and it eventually became a city-wide, city-sponsored program. As the story is told, Benjamin Franklin influenced the entire city of Philadelphia without a word. He simply began to enact change in his own sphere and spread light to all those around him
."


Our actions speak louder than our words. I want to live my life so that mine do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love your blog. that is something to think about. the story was awesome. I also want my life to affect others.
CR Partner