Monday, March 30, 2009

Breathe


As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him. Mark 9:15 (NIV)

What would I do if I saw Jesus? Hopefully I would be so in awe of him that I would fall before Him in praise and worship. He has totally transformed my life. I hope I never cease to be amazed by Him.

These people didn't know Jesus the way we do. There He was before them, in the flesh. Obviously the recognized something in Him. I wonder if I would have, had I lived back then??

Today I've been filled with thoughts and yearnings to be more committed. I truly want to be. Then life and circumstances and things happens and I draw away. My mind becomes muddled with problems and situations and I forget to depend on Him for my very next breath. He is my life. We watched an awesome tape by Rob Bell Saturday called "Breathe." I know there's some controversy in the Christian circles about Rob and his ministry. I think he's being used by God. He takes things and makes them so simple and relevant to life: our lives because of God.

It reminds of me of the verses later in the ninth chapter of Mark. The disciples saw someone casting out demons and told them to stop because they were not "one of us." Jesus' reply??

39 "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us.

I think as Christians we sometimes spend all our energies criticizing and putting down our own. Maybe they look different or talk different or belong to a different group than our own. I think we need to STOP that and love and accept those who love our Lord.

I love the way The Message puts John 13:35...
"This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples - when they see the love you have for each other.
Oftentimes we fall desperately short in this area.

No comments: