Thursday, November 29, 2007

Choose Life


This has been on my heart for several days now. After it was brought to my attention "again" I decided to post about it. I have a friend who sends me the most awesome e-mails. She has a knack of sending "new" ones (further defined as emails I have not seen). I love it.


The last one I received in part said this: Three things in life that can destroy a person -

1. Anger

2. Pride

3. Unforgiveness


Now I have definitely been angry. I believe according to the Bible we can be angry and not sin. (Ephesians 4:26-27) "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. (NIV) Now I don't believe every time I get angry I can categorize it under this heading. I most definitely can be angry and sin.


I do battle with pride at times, but the one that really stood out to me was unforgiveness. Unforgiveness is like a canker sore; it spreads and spreads, eats and eats, and hurts and hurts. It not only hurts the one with unforgiveness, but those around them also. I have battled with this in the past; I hate it. I hate the way it imprisons me and makes me focus on myself. I hate the way it steals my joy and dampens my relationship with the Lord. I hate what it does to my family and friends. I hate what it does to me.


It's a choice. I can choose not to forgive and harm myself and others. I can choose to forgive and have life. God puts it this way in Deuteronomy 30:19 I call Heaven and Earth to witness against you today: I place before you Life and Death, Blessing and Curse. Choose life so that you and your children will live. (The Message) Proverbs 18:21 Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit - you choose. (The Message)


God wants me to make the right choice; He wants me to choose to forgive. Matthew 7:12 should help me do this. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. (The Message) I definitely don't want to be judged the way I have judged others in the past. Psalm 51:1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. (NIV)


If we want to have life we simply must choose to forgive. It's hard. It can seem unfair, especially if we've have been harmed wrongfully. Life happens; hurts happen. Deal with it and get on with life!

No comments: