Friday, December 28, 2007

Nostalgia


I was being lazy this morning. It was time to get up, but we're on Christmas break and I didn't have to get up for any pressing reason. I decided to stay in bed. The ceiling fan was on, the air was cold, and I was all comfy in my bed. It was just too cold to get up. My mind wandered back in time when I was young and living at home. My bedroom had a north window and since we didn't have air conditioning we slept with the windows open. Every so often a cold front would come through in the summer and cold air would blow across my bed. It felt so wonderful. The air was cold, my bed was warm, and it was a weekend so I didn't have to get up for school! One definition for nostalgia is what I experienced this morning: a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition. Now in no way do I want to return to the past, but at least in my memories I was taken back quite a few years. Nostalgia, what a wonderful word.


Main Entry:
nos·tal·gia

Pronunciation:
\nä-ˈstal-jə, nə- also nȯ-, nō-; nə-ˈstäl-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
New Latin, from Greek nostos return home + New Latin -algia; akin to Greek neisthai to return, Old English genesan to survive, Sanskrit nasate he approaches
Date:
1756

No comments: