Saturday, March 22, 2008

no longer a slave


Romans 8:2
A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death. (The Message)


Galatians 5:1 Christ has freed us so that we may enjoy the benefits of freedom. Therefore, be firm [in this freedom], and don't become slaves again. (God's Word Translation)


As I got dressed today I was thinking about what I'd wear to church tomorrow. After all it is Easter Sunday. I have a friend who refuses to wear anything new to church on Easter. I'm a lot like that. I don't like how commercialized Easter has become. Easter doesn't require a new outfit! So I decided I'll probably wear my usual.....my jeans and a decent blouse. Then I started thinking about discovering the freedom Christ has given me. Now I'm not coming down on anyone if you wear a dress or dress up to go to church.........that is a personal decision; maybe even one that God has directed you to. But I have found that I can worship God just as well in jeans as I can in a dress, even more so if I'm led to move around a bit! I'm not trying to be controversial. I'm just talking about me. I no longer have to "get dressed up" to worship God. I love the freedom that brings me.


II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (NIV)


No comments: