Tuesday, May 6, 2008

hemmed in



This has already been one of those trying days. I was struggling to keep my joy because of a recurring situation. I know God is in control, but I sure wish He would take care of this one a bit sooner. I have no other choice but to trust Him. Pastor Paul keeps talking to us about trust. Pastor Ron was here Sunday and gave a wonderful word to us. It was so perfect for us. I guess I should of seen the testing coming, but once again I didn't.

It is a wonderfully cool day outside, one of those kind that come right after a big spring rain. I have the windows open, but the cool seems to stay out there. I got my Bible and went outside and started reading Psalms 139. Verse 5 just really jumped out at me.....


You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. (NIV)

Oh, what comfort. What an incredible God! We don't have to walk through the trying circumstances of our lives alone. I especially like the idea of being hemmed in by God. If you sew at all you will get this. Webster's 1828 Dictionary gives this definition of hemmed;

1. The border of a garment, doubled and sewed to strengthen it and prevent the raveling of the threads.

I needed to be prevented from coming unraveled today. God did that for me. Notice how it says "doubled and sewed to strengthen it." I truly believe our trials and testings will do that if we allow God to control our lives. Now I know ultimately He does just that (control our lives). But think of it this way. You can walk your dog where he trots right along beside you. Or he can become obstinate and sit down and you have to pull on the leash. He may even try to run away if he sees another dog or something else that interests him.


I know I do God that way also. Or at least I try to. I want things my way, to my liking, in my time frame. He doesn't do it though. So I can either trust Him and walk with Him, or I can pull on the leash so to speak and strangle myself. Thank God I wasn't strangled today!




No comments: