Thursday, June 7, 2007

Family Night

Today has been a great day so far. This morning I had a tire fixed that kept getting low. The car dealership had already checked it and couldn't find anything wrong. However it was ten pounds too low the next day. So back I go. They send me next door and these fine people find a nail in it. I'm wondering how hard it is to find a nail in a tire. I really wouldn't know as I've never fixed a tire. Then I ran several errands and surprised Rebekah and Bethany with a drink from our favorite place. That always earns me some brownie points~!

I had a good conversation with my husband at lunch, did some ironing and laundry (the number of loads of laundry I do each week could be a noteworthy subject sometime), had another good conversation with one of our children, made a phone call and spoke with a dear sweet friend, and now am tackling some pre-algebra problems with Hannah. This last endeavor is the low point of my day. Will we ever be finished with school this year???? Yes, Hannah, even moms don't want to do school sometimes.

Several months ago we started family night. It seemed that we hardly ever sat down and ate together as a family. With seven people in the house and each having different jobs, schedules, activities, school, etc., it became a lost art to sit at the same table at the same time and share the same meal. I only cook once a day so breakfast isn't an option here unless we have it for dinner. Bethany decided we needed to do something about it and the rest of us agreed. So tonight is family night. Sometimes we order pizza, sometimes I cook a special meal, and sometimes we eat out. I am cooking Elegant Chicken for tonight and our house smells oh so yummy. I have a Broccoli, Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Salad in the refrigerator. I haven't decided what else to have with it but it could be steamed carrots.

It won't be long before people start arriving home so I need to clear off the dining table. It is covered with the usual schoolbooks and papers as it is also my teacher's desk. Nothing like a dual purpose piece of furniture~!

And one day in the near future we will be finished with school and I can put all the books away for a few weeks. Then I'll probably pile something else on it and have to clear it off next Thursday~!

No comments: