Sunday, June 1, 2008

freely and lightly


We've been going through a book in Sunday School called "Grace Rules" by Steve McVey. It has been a thought provoking class with lots of comments and much thankfulness for God's amazing grace.


A few weeks ago I wrote this thought down (I think it may have been a direct quote from the book). "There is a difference between Christ being in my life and Christ being my life." What a truth! I know when Christ was just "in my life" I found myself very critical, judgmental, and condemning. I was extremely self-centered and self-righteous. I was very legalistic and bound by the law. It makes me so sad to think about my life then. I am grateful that He had saved me, but my life was pretty miserable.


I am so grateful to have just a taste of Christ "being my life." HE makes all the difference in the world. When I focus on Him instead of me, and His grace instead of man's rules, I truly experience His life. I now better understand Matthew 11:30, "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." I love the way The Message puts it....."Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


I found Matthew 11:30 terribly confusing and untrue in my life while trying to live by the law. I don't think I ever would have understood even a little if God hadn't revealed His grace life to me through Pastor Paul. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.


God's salvation is a wondrous thing. His living each day inside us is such a miracle. He wants us to experience much more than just His salvation. He wants an intimate relationship with His children. I now think of myself as a child of The King instead of a a poor sinner. I don't worry about pleasing God anymore; I do please Him.


In my Pharisaical life I would never have dared to say that. But you see, it's not me that's pleasing Him. It's Christ in me that makes me pleasing to Him. It's really all about Him!

No comments: